by Marcus Ettinger DC, BSc
Masoor dal with Tomatoes and Cilantro is a great low calorie, protein and fiber rich meal. It can be a main course when ladled on top of 1/2 cup cooked Basmati rice.
I love this hearty lentil dish as a substitute for meat. Those with blood type A really do well, with increased energy and well-being, when they reduce animal protein and substitute beans and lentils in its place.
- 2 cups – masoor dal gota (Gota means w/o skins)
- 1 1/2 tsp – garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp – turmeric
- 1 tsp – sea salt
- 4 tbsp – olive oil
- 1 1/2 – medium brown onion, chopped
- 3 – large garlic cloves, finely chopped (can use up to 1 full bulb is desired)
- 1 – (1 inch piece) ginger root, finely chopped
- 1 – large jalapeno, finely chopped
- 2 – tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
Rinse masoor dal thoroughly in running water until the water runs clear. In a 4 quart pot bring 1 quart of water to a boil. Add masoor dal. Note: do not cover the pot or it will boil over.
Cook between 10-15 minutes (this is the half-way point), add 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp sea salt. As the masoor dal cooks the water will evaporate and it will thicken, and fluff to double or triple its original size.
Add more water if needed to keep the masoor dal loose. We are looking for a cream of wheat texture. When masoor dal is soft, turn off the heat.
In a pan, heat oil till very hot and add onions. Cook until translucent but not browned.
Add garlic, ginger and jalapeno. Continue to cook until the onions are a pale yellow. Add the remaining 1 tsp of garam masala and 1 tsp of turmeric. Stir frequently so that the spices don’t burn.
Keep stirring until the the mixture starts to stick together. Add tomatoes and cilantro. Cook until the tomatoes soften.
Pour the tomato mixture into the masoor dal and simmer to blend all the flavors. Add more salt if needed.
- Dr. Ettinger’s Instant Pot Dal Makhani Recipe – No Kidney Beans - May 3, 2021
- Lactobacillus gasseri For H. pylori Eradication - April 27, 2021
- Facebook February 06, 2021 – More Sun Less Disease - February 6, 2021