Natural Constipation Remedies, in order of aggressiveness, from 1 to 10
1. This is the gentlest of all of the natural constipation remedies and is one of my favorites. I usually combine this with remedies 2 and 3, for greater effect. Combine 1 cup of warm water with 1/2 lemon. Stir in 2 tsp of Bragg’s apple cider vinegar and 1/8 tsp Seasons 90 Baja Gold Sea Salt. Do this first thing in the morning and before bed, every night. The result should be a softer poop that is easier to eliminate.
2. Exercise – If you want your colon to move your poop from one end to the next, you need to move. Jogging, stretching, yoga, kickboxing, hiking, swimming, and surfing are all good exercises. Exercise mobilizes the entire body, including the intestines/colon. Exercise helps to activate and mobilize the lymphatic system, which is essential for elimination of waste out of the body. Exercise, in addition, stimulates the release of potent neurotransmitters and hormones that facilitate a proper bowel movement. I feel exercise is a mandatory component for correcting constipation.
3. Massage – I recommend that you start massaging from your lower right side. Continue clockwise, up and across to the left, and down. The abdominal massage should be performed for at least for 5 minutes. I like combining the massage with two easy and helpful yoga poses. After a 5-minute abdominal message, get into a downward dog yoga position, then child’s pose, then downward dog again. Do these each for 20-30 seconds. Repeat this process every day for at least 2 weeks. If you do not achieve your desired result, being to add in additional natural constipation remedies. For even better results, you can lay a wet, warm towel across your abdomen. Do this for at least 10 minutes, prior to the abdominal massage.
These constipation remedies should be added in one at a time
4. If increased water, exercise and massage don’t relieve your constipation then i recommend adding in additional fat (lubrication) to your diet. Add-in a daily dose of either organic, cold-pressed, coconut, flax seed oil, or extra virgin olive oil (1 Tbsp of each oil a day). This can be combined with number 5, below.
5. Increase Natural Fiber (nature’s pre-biotics) – I recommend that you eat a large salad of mixed greens with extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon, and sea salt. If you feel so inclined, you can also add in some additional fruit. Start by add-in one to two pieces of fruit per day, if tolerated, based on your blood type diet. See: Eat Right 4 Your Type, by Dr. Peter D’Adamo
6. Fiber supplementation. If you are the type of person that is not going to eat a large green salad or fruit, then a fiber supplement if for you. I like Raw Fiber by Garden of Life. Raw Fiber contains Organic: Flax Seed (Meal and Sprouts), Amaranth Sprout, Quinoa Sprout, Chia (Seed and Sprouts), Millet Sprout, Buckwheat Sprout, Garbanzo Bean Sprout, Lentil Sprout, Adzuki Bean Sprout. Sunflower Seed Sprout, Pumpkin Seed Sprout, Sesame Seed Sprout, Coconut Flour and Bacillus coagulans. I recommend starting at 1/2 scoop per day and increasing to 1 full scoop, per day, if needed.
7. Magnesium chloride and Epsom salt bath. I recommend this even if you are not experiencing constipation. This bath is phenomenal for muscle cramps or pain as well as helping your skin look vibrant.
These constipation remedies are best used under a health care provider’s supervision
8. HCl w/pepsin (500-700 mg’s per pill) – I recommend that at least one pill should be taken 15-30 minutes before any meal containing protein. Protein-containing foods are eggs, beans, nuts, fish, beef, pork, and chicken. This dose can safely be raised to five to six pills if recommended by your health care provider. I recommend that you do not take HCl if you have H. pylori bacteria or take an anti-inflammatory medication.
9. Iberogast (10-20 drops, 3x/day) – I only recommend trying Iberogast and MotilPro (below) if 1-8 have not worked. Iberogast is a clinically proven formulation that combines the synergistic power of nine herbal extracts. It is designed to increase intestinal movement. Iberogast may provide fast relief from stomach pain, abdominal cramps, bloating, gas, fullness, nausea, heartburn, diarrhea, and constipation.
10. MotilPro (3-6 per day) – MotilPro supports multiple chemical processes in the GI tract to get things moving. I recommend this formula for those who experience constipation due to excessive stress.