If after reading this post you have questions regarding alternative medicine, integrative medicine, chiropractic, weight-loss, diabetes or pre-diabetes prevention, nutritional supplementation or How to become a new patient, please feel free to contact our office. Advanced Healing Center of Orange County, the practice of Dr. Marcus Ettinger BSc, DC. Phone: 714-639-4360, E-mail: email@example.com, Mail: 630 South Glassell Street #103. Orange, CA 92866.
Why should my infant, child or teen receive chiropractic adjustments?
Spinal dysfunction or nerve irritation can occur at any age, causing pain and negatively impacting our health, well-being and vitality. Most spinal, muscular and joint problems seen in adults have their genesis in traumas, large and small, that occurred in childhood. Chiropractic manipulation/adjustments of the spine and peripheral joints improve both function and form, thereby optimizing the body’s innate ability to heal and thrive. Each and every stage of our life subjects us to a variety of situations and stresses, which may create spinal dysfunction and nerve irritation. Chiropractic is one of the safest and most effective antidotes to the stresses and traumas we face every day. Chiropractic care is for the entire family.
Chiropractic is for Infants
In addition to the birthing process (c-section, vaginal, breach or forceps assisted), infants may suffer spinal and/or spinal nerve dysfunction due to the simple, daily strain of holding their head up, as well as from the tumbles and falls that occur when they first start exploring and experiencing their new world.
Common conditions in infants that benefit from chiropractic:
- Irritability (fussiness)
- Recurring ear infections
- Some respiratory conditions
Chiropractic is for Children
Children can suffer various injuries from contact sports, falling off a bike or other slips and falls. They may also have poor posture from sitting improperly at school, watching television or playing video games. In addition, children often suffer back strain from over-loaded back packs (packs should never exceed 15% of your child’s weight).
Common conditions in children that benefit from chiropractic:
- Asthma and some Allergies
- Frequent colds
- Growing pains or painful joints
- Headaches (migraines)
- Poor concentration (ADD/ADHD)
- Postural problems
- Sinus problems
- Stomach aches or poor appetite
Chiropractic is for Teens
Teens often suffer from the same traumas and stresses they did as a child plus the additional emotional stress and hormonal changes associated with puberty. Trauma combined with the social pressures, teens face daily, due to the aberrated perpetuation of false truths by TV and print media – we now have a situation that is sure to create spinal and nerve irritation. Physical and emotional stress affects the body in a negative manner. Chiropractic manipulation/adjustments can help to support the innate ability of the body to adapt and heal. “In 26 years of treating patients, I have had the wonderful opportunity of treating infants who are now grown, young adults. These patients, more than any others I have, are healthier and have a greater sense of well-being. Without being prejudice, I truly feel it is due to chiropractic and living with the knowledge of chiropractic philosophy.”
Q: At what age should I take my child to see a chiropractor for evaluation?
A child will benefit from chiropractic care at any age. “In fact, my daughter Maile received her first chiropractic adjustment just moments after she was born.” Bring your child in with you for a complimentary evaluation to see if they may benefit from everything chiropractic has to offer.
Q: Do you adjust a child differently than you do an adult?
“Yes. As a 26 year practicing chiropractor, I will modify my adjusting technique based on your child’s size and specific condition. The force is lighter and the response to chiropractic manipulation/adjustments is even faster than with my adult patients. Infants, children and teens have spines that are more flexible than those of my adult patients. This means that my younger patients often require less frequent chiropractic manipulation/adjustments, and respond much quicker to chiropractic care.”
Q: When do we experience our first “spinal dysfunction”?
A vast body of research has been done on the benefits of chiropractic care for children. It is believed that many children may suffer their first spinal problems as a result of the birth process. The process of going through the birth canal and in some cases, the additional strains of forceps or vacuum extractions may put undue stress on the fragile muscles, joints and spinal nerves of an infant’s neck. Left uncorrected, this can lead to abnormal spinal mechanics and nerve irritation, which can affect the overall well-being of the child perpetuating into adulthood.
1. Hakala P., Rimpela A., et al., Back, neck and shoulder pain in Finnish adolescents: National cross section surveys. British Medical Journal, 2002
2. Gutman G., Blocked atlantal nerve syndrome in babies and infants. Manuelle Medizin, 1987
3. Crawford J.P., Byoung Y.H., Asselbergs P.J. Hichson G.S., Vascular ischemia of the cervical spine: a review of the relationship to therapeutic manipulation. JMPT, 1984
4. Dvorak J., Baumgartner L., Burn J.B., Concensus and recommendations as to the side effects and complications of manual therapy of the cervical spine. Journal of Manual Medicine, 1991.
5. Fossgren J., Complications in manual medicine. Journal of Manual Medicine, 1991
6. Nilsson N., Infantile colic and chiropractic. European Journal of Chiropractic, 1985
7. Fallon J.M., The role of the chiropractic adjustment in the care and treatment of 322 children with otitis media. Journal of Clinical Chiropractic Pediatrics, 1997
- Facebook February 06, 2021 – More Sun Less Disease - February 6, 2021
- Facebook January 03, 2021 – Blood Pressure-UVA-UVB-Nitric Oxide - January 26, 2021
- Facebook December 27, 2020 – Niels Finsen - January 26, 2021