Is the Carnivore Diet a passing fad? I think not. Is it the ultimate evolutionary, elimination diet? Does it support our innate genetic make-up? I think so. Here are just TWO examples of many: (1) why do humans have such low innate stomach pH, like that of scavengers who eat carrion? The Evolution of Stomach Acidity and Its Relevance to the Human Microbiome). (2) Food For Thought: Meat-Based Diet Made Us Smarter.
For some, like those with cancer, depression, autoimmune disease, diabetes, obesity, depression, irritable bowel disease (Crohn’s or ulcerative colitis), SIBO, leaky gut (brain fog), celiac disease, this may possibly be your dietary panacea – the ultimate dietary life hack. An ever-increasing number of people, doctors, and clinics, including myself and a number of my patients, are experiencing life-changing results from adopting or implementing an all fat/meat/offal, Carnivore Diet. What to Eat on a Carnivore Diet. Your Carnivore Diet Meal Plan! To be perfectly clear, the Carnivore Diet may not be right for every person, and it may not need to be strictly followed long-term. This diet is completely worth giving a fair shake. Below are a ton of references to help you make an intelligent and informed decision. I’m trying to present facts and not hype. Also included in this post are do’s and don’t to support efficient mitochondrial function.
“The more information we have the better choices we can make. Making a decision based solely on emotion is not logical. Whether you are a vegan, vegetarian, paleo or carnivore, the diet and lifestyle choices you make should be based on real data that can be supported by logical and substantiated facts, not political, monetary or emotionally motivated agendas.” Dr. Ettinger
Disclaimer: I do take potassium bicarbonate, sodium bicarbonate, Baja Gold Sea Salt, and magnesium orotate daily. I run 4 miles 5 days per week and sweat a lot in my Far-IR sauna. I also weight train 30 minutes 5 days per week. I find repleting my electrolytes helps me perform at a consistently high level. The diet consists of animal fat, meat, offal and eggs with an approximate 2:1 fat: protein ratio. Red and fatty meats instead of poultry, as well as a regular intake of organ meats (especially liver) from chicken, pork and beef, are highly encouraged. Grains, milk, dairy, beans, vegetables, refined sugars, fruit, vegetable oils, seed oil, nightshades, and artificial sweeteners are excluded.
If you are sick or just plain curious (Neo in the Matrix being offered the red pill (red light and enlightenment) or blue pill (blue light, non-native EMF a man-made, artificial life) and would like help sorting through all the bullshit, false data, misconceptions…, I can help. I have spent 30+ years researching and helping people regain health. It’s not hard but it does take some work and fortitude to achieve the desired results – health, youthful energy, and vitality. It’s a combination of discovering all the WHY(s) contributing to one’s problems, a lot of deprogramming, adopting a new lifestyle, and understanding that continued coaching may be needed. All of this is needed to help achieve a durable resolution to one’s past digression from how we were actually meant to live and eat. For more information, you can reach me at 714-639-4360 (PDT)
Carnivore Diet Facebook Groups
Cholesterol, Constipation, Fiber, Cancer, and Fertility – Myths and Truths
Fats, Cholesterol and Heart Disease
High Ratio of Triglycerides to HDL-Cholesterol Predicts Extensive Coronary Disease – Abstract: An abnormal ratio of triglycerides to HDL-cholesterol (TG/HDL-c) indicates an atherogenic lipid profile and a risk for the development of coronary artery disease. CONCLUSIONS: Although some lipid variables were associated with the extent of coronary disease, the ratio of triglycerides to HDL-cholesterol showed the strongest association with extent.
So how can a person tell if they are insulin resistant and have metabolic syndrome? The Metabolic Syndrome is defined as having 3 of the following 5 conditions: central obesity, high blood pressure, high blood sugar, high serum triglycerides, and low HDL Cholesterol if you have 3 of these you are definitely insulin resistant. No need to look further.
Here are (2) easy ways to tell if you are insulin resistant. The first is to get a routine Cholesterol Panel done. The Triglyceride/HDL Cholesterol ratio has been shown to closely mirror insulin resistance as this study shows (read the “Conclusion”}. If your Cholesterol Panel was done using U.S. style units (mg/dl) you can simply take your triglyceride number and divide it by the HDL Cholesterol number. If it is greater than 1.5 there is a good chance you are insulin resistant and you should proceed to the more sensitive HOMA-IR which is the test used to gauge insulin resistance in most clinical trials done recently. If your report is in the European values of mmol/l (millimoles per liter) you must then multiply the value by 2.3 to get the correct ratio.
To calculate your HOMA-IR you will need to have your doctor order a fasting insulin level and fasting glucose test to be done at the same time. You then take these 2 numbers and plug them into a HOMA-IR calculator like this one on the internet. If yours is greater than 1 then you should be concerned and consider a Low Carb, High Fat diet even if you are not overweight.
Cholesterol and Mortality – However, because up to now the guidelines have included a number of serious flaws, [we consider that] they were not valid. Not only laypeople but also medical professionals really want to know how all-cause mortality is affected by high cholesterol levels. However, the data on all-cause mortality has never been described in the previous guidelines. If contrary to what seems intuitive—that the mortality of people with higher cholesterol levels is lower—it becomes necessary to reconsider our commonly held belief that cholesterol is bad.
As we show from several lines of evidence in our guidelines, all-cause mortality in Japan is reduced when total or LDL cholesterol values are high. That is to say, people with high cholesterol levels live longer. This fact has been known by researchers for more than 10 years. Why has the general public not been told of this important fact?
Our guidelines, compiled with support from the Japan Society for Lipid Nutrition, present many facts that the general public will not be aware of until now. This situation has been made possible simply because almost all editorial committee members [of CGL] do not receive any research grants from pharmaceutical companies. Also see: Research Lack of an association or an inverse association between low-density-lipoprotein cholesterol and mortality in the elderly: a systematic review
In response to, “Low-Carb Diets Could Shorten Life, Study Suggests” I present Dr. Zoe Harcombe, Ph.D.’s rebuttal, “Low Carb Diets Could Shorten Life (Really?!)”
Saturated Fat Does Not Clog the Arteries: Coronary Heart Disease Is A Chronic Inflammatory Condition, The Risk Of Which Can Be Effectively Reduced From Healthy Lifestyle Interventions – Coronary artery disease pathogenesis and treatment urgently requires a paradigm shift. Despite popular belief among doctors and the public, the conceptual model of dietary saturated fat clogging a pipe is just plain wrong. A landmark systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies showed no association between saturated fat consumption and (1) all-cause mortality, (2) coronary heart disease (CHD), (3) CHD mortality, (4) ischaemic stroke or (5) type 2 diabetes in healthy adults.
Carnivore Diet – What Did All That Meat Do To My Arteries? My Coronary Artery Calcium Score (CACS) Results. Spoiler alert, Dr. Shawn Baker’s results were “0”. A score of “0” means there is no plaque is present. You have less than a 5% chance of having heart disease. Your risk of a heart attack is very low.
Supporting data on the reliability and usefulness of CACS testing for prediction and prevention of cardiovascular disease development aka heart attack. Coronary Artery Calcium Score: Current Status and Cardiac Calcium Scoring – University of Maryland Medical Center. Do You Know Your Heart Calcium Score? You Should – Dr. Joel Kahn. Vegan cardiologist, Dr. Joel Kahn “America’s Healthiest Doc” (LOL) states on his website, “research studies like those cited above indicated that the heart calcium score is the most accurate way to detect silent heart disease and also the strongest predictor of future cardiac events like heart attack and death.” So, basically, a vegan and carnivore can have the same CACS. Let the debate begin.
Records Found in Dusty Basement Undermine Decades of Dietary Advice – Raw data from a 40-year-old study raises new questions about fats. “…substituting vegetable oils lowered total blood cholesterol levels, by an average of 14 percent. But that lowered cholesterol did not help people live longer. Instead, the lower cholesterol fell, the higher the risk of dying: 22 percent higher for every 30-point fall. Nor did the corn-oil group have less atherosclerosis or fewer heart attacks.”
If you would like a better understanding of the importance of cholesterol especially cholesterol sulfate on HUMAN HEALTH (yes, we only get it from animal protein), please watch this (easy to understand) 7 part video series Dr. Mercola did with Stephanie Seneff Ph.D. professor at MIT. Professor Seneff is one of the world’s experts on the subject. If you want to live longer and healthier, it’s worth your investment of time.
- Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Stephanie Seneff (Part 1 of 7)
- Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Stephanie Seneff (Part 2 of 7)
- Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Stephanie Seneff (Part 3 of 7)
- Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Stephanie Seneff (Part 4 of 7)
- Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Stephanie Seneff (Part 5 of 7)
- Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Stephanie Seneff (Part 6 of 7)
- Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Stephanie Seneff (Part 7 of 7)
Enjoy Eating Saturated Fats: They’re Good for You. Donald W. Miller, Jr., M.D. (video 53:34) Dr. Miller is a professor of surgery, cardiothoracic division, Univ. Washington. This video will give you a history of the various scams, government and academic, that demonized saturated fat and cholesterol. It will also provide you with the truth about the benefits of saturated fat and cholesterol.
Fiber and Constipation
Stopping or Reducing Dietary Fiber Intake Reduces Constipation and its Associated Symptoms – In conclusion, contrary to popularly held beliefs, reducing or stopping dietary fiber intake improves constipation and its associated symptoms.
A high-fiber diet does not protect against asymptomatic diverticulosis. CONCLUSIONS: A high-fiber diet and increased frequency of bowel movements are associated with greater, rather than lower, the prevalence of diverticulosis.
Dr. Paul Mason – ‘From Fiber to the Microbiome: Low Carb Gut Health’– Dr. Paul Mason obtained his medical degree with honors from the University of Sydney, and also holds degrees in Physiotherapy and Occupational Health. He is a specialist in Sports Medicine and Exercise Physician. Dr. Mason developed an interest in low carbohydrate diets in 2011. Since then he has spent hundreds of hours reading and analyzing the scientific literature. For the last two years, Dr. Mason has been applying this knowledge in treating metabolic and arthritis patients who have achieved dramatic and sustained weight loss and reductions in joint pain.
HUMAN PERFORMANCE OUTLIERS PODCAST Episode 40: Professor Thomas Seyfried – In this episode, Professor Thomas Seyfried breaks down cancer as a metabolic disease. He explains how cancer thrives and what mistakes we are making in current cancer treatment. The key takeaway from this episode is that cancer loves glucose and the amino acid glutamine. If you cut off the supply of both to the cancer cells, they die. Activation of AMPK suppresses mTOR and vice-versa. Glutamine stimulates mTOR. Targeting Glutamine Metabolism for Cancer Treatment will be a continued focus in the fight against cancer. It’s interesting to note that some of the same substances (EGCG from green tea, curcumin, the medication Metformin and others reduce L-glutamine via disruption/suppression of mTOR) and are potent AMPK activators. Check out Dr. Seyfried’s book, Cancer as a Metabolic Disease. Here’s a recent paper co-authored by Dr. Seyfried, “Mitochondrial Correction: A New Therapeutic Paradigm for Cancer and Degenerative Diseases.” Please utilize it for the information about the mitochondria-cancer connection. I personally do not recommend the paper’s dietary or nutritional supplement recommendation to be utilized over the course of a person’s paleo-ketogenic diet and lifestyle modification protocol. There may be or is a place in the beginning, depending on many factors. But, once the mitochondria begin to become more efficient, supplements may actually interfere with future progress.
Vegetarians have much lower sperm counts – A diet rich in fruit and vegetables may harm fertility, say researchers at Loma Linda University Medical School. Vegetarians and vegans had significantly lower sperm counts compared with meat-eaters, 50 million sperm per ml compared with 70 million per ml. They also had lower average sperm motility – the number of sperm which are active. Only one-third of sperm were active for vegetarians and vegans compared with nearly 60 percent for meat-eaters. The team believes that vitamin deficiencies may be to blame but also believe that replacing meat with soy could be responsible.
Carnivore Diet & Zero Carb Related Articles; Videos and Podcasts; Websites; and Books
What to Eat on a Carnivore Diet. Your Carnivore Diet Meal Plan! – Paul Saladino, MD
A Brief History of the Zero Carb Way of Eating. Paul Mabry, MD
Dr. Shawn Baker’s Carnivore Diet: A Review. Marty Kendal
Zsófia Clemens, Ph.D., is a neurobiologist and clinical researcher specialized in nutrition, nutritional therapy, and brain research. She has been affiliated with the National Institute of Clinical Neuroscience, Budapest and the Neurological Department, University of Pécs, Hungary. She is also the leader of the Paleomedicina Hungary with fellow doctor Csaba Toth. In international academic journals, She has published 40 research articles with more than 1100 citations.”
- Paleomedicina (Dr. Csaba Tóth & Dr. Zsófia Clemens)
- “Crohn’s disease successfully treated with the paleolithic ketogenic diet”
- “The paleolithic ketogenic diet may ensure adequate serum magnesium levels”
- “Vitamin C and Disease: Insights from the Evolutionary Perspective”
- Publications by Dr. Csaba Tóth [ResearchGate]
- “Lard or Coconut Oil?” by Dr. Csaba Tóth
- @paleoketogenic (Dr. Csaba Tóth) [Twitter]
Open letter to Professor Loren Cordain about Ketogenic and Paleolithic Diets. Csaba Tóth and Zsófia Clemens
Prolonged Meat Diets With A Study Of Kidney Function And Ketosis. Walter S. McClellan and Eugene F. DuBois
SUMMARY AND CONCLUSIONS.
- Two men lived on an exclusive meat diet for 1 year and a third man for 10 days. The relative amounts of lean and fat, meat ingested were left to the instinctive choice of the individuals.
- The protein content varied from 100 to 140 gm., the fat from 200 to 300 gm., the carbohydrate, derived entirely from the meat, from 7 to 12 gm., and the fuel value from 2000 to 3100 calories.
- At the end of the year, the subjects were mentally alert, physically active, and showed no specific physical changes in any system of the body.
- During the 1st week, all three men lost weight, due to a shift in the water content of the body while adjusting itself to the low carbohydrate diet. Thereafter, their weights remained practically constant.
- In the prolonged test, the blood pressure of one man remained constant; the systolic pressure of the other decreased 20 mm. and the diastolic pressure remained uniform.
- The control of the bowels was not disturbed while the subjects were on a prescribed meat diet. In one instance, when the proportion of protein calories in the diet exceeded 40 percent, diarrhea developed.
- Vitamin deficiencies did not appear.
- The total acidity of the urine during the meat diet was increased to 2 or 3 times that of the acidity on mixed diets and acetonuria was present throughout the periods of exclusive meat.
- Urine examinations, determinations of the nitrogenous constituents of the blood, and kidney function tests revealed no evidence of kidney damage.
- While on the meat diet, the men metabolized foodstuffs with FA: G ratios between 1.9 and 3.0 and excreted from 0.4 to 7.2 gm. of acetone bodies per day.
- In these trained subjects, the clinical observations and laboratory studies gave no evidence that any ill effects had occurred from the prolonged use of the exclusive meat diet.
Meat-Eating Among the Earliest Humans – By Briana Pobiner
Evidence of meat-eating among our distant human ancestors is hard to find and even harder to interpret, but researchers are beginning to piece together a coherent picture.
Eat Meat. Drink Water. Zen, and the Art of Zero-Carb Living. Esmée La Fleur
Eat Meat. Not Too Little. Mostly Fat. L. Amber O’Hearn – A brief introduction to the how and why of experimenting with a Carnivore Diet.
Zsófia Clemens, Ph.D., is a neurobiologist and clinical researcher specialized in nutrition, nutritional therapy, and brain research. She has been affiliated with the National Institute of Clinical Neuroscience, Budapest and the Neurological Department, University of Pécs, Hungary. She is also the leader of the Paleomedicina Hungary with fellow doctor Csaba Toth. In international academic journals, She has published 40 research articles with more than 1100 citations.”
Using an All-Meat Diet Against Cancer, Diabetes & Autoimmune Conditions Dr.Zsófia Clemens. “Meat causes cancer” is plastered everywhere in the world of health and nutrition but what happens when you pitch a practically all-meat diet against cancer and various other chronic conditions? Time to find out and bust one of the biggest controversies in human health. Here’s another video Paleo-Ketogenic Diet Benefits (+Advanced Tips) • Dr. Zsófia Clemens PhD
Carnivore Diet: Why would it work? What about Nutrients and Fiber? – For those that say, “I’ve tried everything and I’m still sick.” Here is the “Ultimate Elimination Diet” low lectin, low FODMAP, low sulfite, low oxalate, low phytate, no fiber, low salicylate, no nightshade (Nightshade Data) This is what I’m experimenting with now. So far I feel better than I have in a long time and I thought I was as good as I could get, with zero complaints about my health or energy. I have increased endurance, a decrease in body fat at my same weight (increased muscle mass), better mental focus and clarity of thought. Yes, being in a high level of ketosis also plays a part in this.
Dr. Mike Eades – ‘Paleopathology and the Origins of the Paleo Diet’ (47:52) – The video is a little technical, but a must for anyone needing data and facts to support how humans should live – a paleolithic lifestyle. “It is mind-blowing that we have such “controversy” over the Paleolithic diet while we have evidence like stable isotope analysis. Some people just don’t want to learn I guess.” To follow Dr. Eades’ work here’s –The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. – A critical look at nutritional science and anything else that strikes my fancy
Red Meat and Health – Nina Teicholz. Nina Teicholz is a New York Times bestselling investigative science journalist who has played a pivotal role in challenging the conventional wisdom on dietary fat. Her groundbreaking work, ‘The Big Fat Surprise‘, which The Economist named as the #1 science book of 2014, has led to a profound rethinking on whether we have been wrong to think that fat, including saturated fat, causes disease.
Joe Rogan Experience #1164 – Mikhaila Peterson – Mikhaila Peterson is a food blogger tracking her experiences with the Carnivore Diet at “Don’t Eat That” http://mikhailapeterson.com/ “The food pyramid is a lie, fat is good for you, and many (if not most) health problems are treatable with diet alone. I’m in remission from severe arthritis (multiple joints replaced), chronic fatigue, depression and a plethora of other symptoms from changing how I eat. This blog chronicles how my family and my parents eat and what it’s done for us.” For more information on Mikhaila Peterson’s journey, past and future, here’s Don’t Eat That – Mikhalia Peterson’s Blog – The food pyramid is a lie, fat is good for you, and many (if not most) health problems are treatable with diet alone. I’m in remission from severe arthritis (multiple joints replaced), chronic fatigue, depression and a plethora of other symptoms from changing how I eat. This blog chronicles how my family and my parents eat and what it’s done for us.
Joe Rogan Experience #1139 – Jordan Peterson – Jordan Peterson is a clinical psychologist and tenured professor of psychology at the University of Toronto. The last part of this podcast goes over Jordan Peterson’s own experience with the carnivore diet and how it improved his health. It’s worth a listen.
Carnivore Diet – Myths about Meat – Phil Escott – WHIS 2018 – Meat myths… Does the Carnivore Diet cause cancer? How reliable are the studies? Did our ancestors eat meat? Were they sick? How should light cycles and circadian biology guide what we eat? What does Ayurveda say about meat-eating? Why can we often not stay healthy on what our grandparents ate in this changing world? How does diet relate to artificial light and EMFs? And for any more vegans who pull me up on Shawn Baker’s blood results, here’s my video response to that… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGcpn… World Health Innovation Summit 2018.
Zero-Carb/Carnivore for 90 days. Pros, Cons, and Lessons – A 15-minute video by Mitch Allan
Robb Wolf’s Paleo Solution Podcast Episode 409 – Amber O’Hearn – Carnivore Diet – On Episode 409 of The Paleo Solution Podcast, we have guest Amber O’Hearn. Amber is a data scientist by profession with a background in math, computer science, linguistics, and psychology. She has been studying and experimenting with ketogenic diets since 1997, and more recently writing and speaking about her findings. Her review on the evolutionary appropriateness and benefit of weaning babies onto a meat-based, high fat, low carb diet, was included as testimony defending Tim Noakes in his recent trial. Amber has been eating a plant-free diet since 2009. And, Primal Edge Health’s 2-hour interview, Amber O’Hearn 9-Year Keto-Carnivore Pioneer – It’s a great interview with Tristan Haggard and L Amber O’Hearn (nine years fully carnivore). If you want to know what carnivory is all about, this is an ideal place to start with just about every common and not so common question answered…
Debunking Season – Debunking “Debunking the Paleo Diet | Christina Warinner | TEDxOU” – Miki Ben-Dor (Ph.D. candidate at the Department of Archaeology of Tel Aviv University and proprietor of Paleostyle.com). “As for teeth, biologists and anthropologists have to learn the term ‘Liem’s Parado’. We frequently hear that the morphology of our teeth provides adequate evidence of humans being omnivores. However, our personal clinical experience with an animal meat-fat-based diet has revealed it as being superior to any other diet in terms of ameliorating recovery from several different diseases. We view this as an indication that humans are meat-eaters rather than omnivores. To resolve the apparent conflict between teeth morphology and the evolutionary adapted diet we propose the Liem’s Paradox. The Liem’s Paradox pertains to an apparent conflict between morphological adaptation and actual use. It suggests that in an evolutionary time scale the morphology of teeth does not necessarily change with a change in the diet. Overall, preserving the morphology of teeth from an earlier evolutionary stage may be beneficial if the old morphology is compatible with both the old and the new diets, but the preferred new diet items are not always available.” Csaba Toth, Paleomedicina Hungary
Ancestral Health Society (AHS18) – Are We Carnivores – Miki Ben-Dor, BA, MBA, Doctoral candidate. Past attempts to estimate the plant/animal ratio of the Paleolithic Diet (e.g., Eaton and Konner, 1985; Cordain et al., 2000; Marlowe, 2005; Kuipers et al., 2010) were based mainly on recent hunter-gatherers’ data. I show that the available ethnographic data is misleading in that it is historically inaccurate and even if it were, significant technological and ecological changes since the Paleolithic prevents the application of this data to the prediction of Paleolithic diets. Archaeology is also a poor source of quantitative prediction of the plant/animal ratio of the Paleolithic diet since plant residues are only rarely preserved. This state of affairs leaves the human physiological record, such as anatomy, metabolism, and genes, as the primary source where an evolutionary record of past plant: animal ratio in the diet is preserved. This record is reviewed, and a clear picture of the plant: animal ratio to which we evolved emerges.
Lierre Keith on the Moral, Nutritional, and Environmental Superiority of Eating Meat – 26 Jul · Peak Human – A Food Lies Film Podcast. One of my favorite humans I have never met in person, Lierre Keith, shares a ton of information with us today. We talked for almost 2 hours and could have gone longer. You may recognize her from the Netflix film The Magic Pill – she was a hardcore vegan for 20 years and lived the lifestyle with passion. I won’t give away everything, but she wholeheartedly enjoys animal products now and wrote a book that thoroughly refutes the three major tenets vegans and vegetarians stand on. They claim a plant-based diet is better morally, better for the environment, and superior nutritionally. As I know, and you at home probably are aware of by now, the opposite is true on all accounts.
Plant Food Toxins in an Evolutionary Context — George Diggs, Ph.D. (AHS14) – Over the past several decades, tremendous strides have been made in the study of plant chemical defenses. These defenses include digestibility reducers, semiochemicals, hormone mimics, photosensitizers, cyanogenic compounds, and a variety of other toxins that interfere with herbivore structure or metabolism. A great deal is now known about their effects in a wide variety of animals ranging from insects to mammals. The toxic or otherwise damaging compounds in plants eaten by humans (e.g., gluten, hormone mimics, some lectins, photosensitizers, saponins, etc.) will be examined in the broader context of a widespread and evolutionarily old arms race between plants and animals.
Strong Medicine by Blake F. Donaldson, MD. At a minimum, please read chapters 19 and 20. First published in 1961, Strong Medicine by Dr. Blake F. Donaldson is a diet book supporting a meat-only diet. Dr. Donaldson efficiently treated overweight people with a diet in which up to 24oz. of fat meat was prescribed daily. His philosophy comes from the idea: “During the millions of years that our ancestors lived by hunting, every weakling who could not maintain perfect health on fresh fat meat and water was bred out.”
The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Keith 2009 – Part memoir, nutritional primer, and political manifesto, this controversial examination exposes the destructive history of agriculture—causing the devastation of prairies and forests, driving countless species extinct, altering the climate, and destroying the topsoil—and asserts that, in order to save the planet, food must come from within living communities. In order for this to happen, the argument champions eating locally and sustainably and encourages those with the resources to grow their own food. Further examining the question of what to eat from the perspective of both human and environmental health, the account goes beyond health choices and discusses potential moral issues from eating—or not eating—animals. Through the deeply personal narrative of someone who practiced veganism for 20 years, this unique exploration also discusses alternatives to industrial farming, reveals the risks of a vegan diet, and explains why animals belong on ecologically sound farms. Supportive video: PaleoHacks – Lierre Keith | How a Former Vegan Learned to Love Meat
The Fat of The Land by Vilhjalmur Stefansson. HERE is a book that should be read by everyone who eats meat. It will relieve unnecessary apprehension regarding the food we most enjoy. Of course, it should be read by, or read to, everyone who does not eat meat. The most intensive consideration should come from all those who are working in the fields of nutrition and its allied science, dietetics. Vilhjalmur Stefansson states clearly the fact that men can remain in good health on a diet of meat alone. The evidence is ample and incontrovertible.
Ex-Vegan to Carnivore Stories
Ex-Vegan (2.5 Years): I Almost Died & My Daughter’s Teeth Were Rotting – This is a great representation of what I’ve experienced with my own patients who were vegan. Almost all of them eventually came to realize that their diet was causing more harm than good. Only those who chose veganism for philosophical reasons stayed with it and continued to experience non-optimal health.
84% of Vegetarians and Vegans Return to Meat. Why? – Psychology Today. Hal Herzog, Ph.D. has been investigating the complex psychology of our interactions with other species for three decades. His research interests include the impact of pets on human health and well-being, attitudes toward the use of animals, and the evolution of pet-keeping. An award-winning teacher and researcher, he has published more than 100 research articles and book chapters.
I’m Not Vegan Anymore: It Ruined My Running And My Life (27:53) December 1, 2018, The exVegan Runner
Why I’m no longer convinced veganism is the answer (37:31) April 22, 2019 – JackoWackoVegano. Another longtime vegan had a come-to-Jesus-moment after making 250+ vegan promoting, animal-eater bashing videos. He realized that the vegan movement is not at all physically, socially, or psychologically sustainable over the long-term. Hello in there, will the last vegan left please turn off the lights when you go back to eating meat.
The Vegan Blogger World Is Quietly Imploding On Itself So Strap Yourself In April 10, 2019 – “A Vegan Diet is deficient or absent of Cholesterol, L-Leucine, L-lysine, Vitamin B12, the fatty acids DHA and EPA, Zinc, and Bioavailable (heme) Iron. All of these nutrients are needed by the body for optimal health.” Dr. Marcus Ettinger
Vegan says eating meat again ‘cured’ his depression April 16, 2019 – Tim Shieff was hailed as the ‘Vegan Prince’ and Tim helped found the ethical clothing company, ETHCS and was also TV Ninja Warrior contestant. Tim abstained from the use of animal products for six years and built a platform online of over 175,000 YouTube subscribers and more than 85,000 Instagram followers. But behind the scenes, his body was failing him.
TRUTH: Dangers of Veganism (13:16) September 11, 2019 – “I recorded this video for myself but felt compelled to share it. It was impromptu, raw, and unedited. I spent all my life in the trap of vegetarian thinking. (Vegan wasn’t even a thing back then). Now I am wholeheartedly #antivegan, #exvegan, and a firm believer that #meatheals. #carnivore”
VEGANISM IS A CULT! (9:31) September 22, 2019 – Ex-vegan Tammara, here to spread the word about the dangers of a plant-based vegan diet.
Countering the Vegan Theory and/or Agenda (why not to become a vegan)
November 21, 2019 – Joe Rogan Experience #1389 – Chris Kresser Debunks “The Gamechangers” Documentary (2:51:02)
Want to Go Vegan / Vegetarian? Watch This First – Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride 2017 (1:14:01) – Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, developer of The Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAP Syndrome or GAPS). She is a medical doctor with two postgraduate degrees: Master of Medical Sciences in Neurology and Master of Medical Sciences in Human Nutrition.
Nutrition and Health – The Association between Eating Behavior and Various Health Parameters: A Matched Sample Study – “Moreover, our results showed that a vegetarian diet is associated with poorer health (higher incidences of cancer, allergies, and mental health disorders), a higher need for health care, and poorer quality of life.”
The Least Harm Principle May Require that Humans Consume a Diet Containing Large Herbivores, Not a Vegan Diet– Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics July 2003, Volume 16, Issue 4, pp 387–394. CONCLUSIONS: 1. Vegan diets are not bloodless diets. Millions of animals of the field die every year to provide products used in vegan diets. 2. Several alternative food production models exist that may kill fewer animals than the vegan model. 3. More research is needed to obtain accurate estimations of the number of field animals killed in different crop production systems. 4. Humans may be morally obligated to consume a diet from plant-based plus pasture-forage-ruminant systems.
Vegans: The Epitome of Malnourishment – (Disclaimer: Please don’t watch these videos if you have a sensitive constitution. Some of the scenes may disturb you.)
Video Part 1
Video Part 2
Video Part 3
Video Part 4
Video Part 5
Video Part 6
Why Being Vegetarian Could be BAD for Your Teeth: Compound Found in Meat Breaks Down Dental Plaque – and Could Treat Gum Disease – DailyMail.com. The article was compiled from the research presented in this research journal article published in the PLOS one, “L-Arginine Destabilizes Oral Multi-Species Biofilm Communities Developed in Human Saliva”
AHS17 Lost Seasonality and Overconsumption of Plants: Risking Oxalate Toxicity – Sally Norton. In the context of a global food system and 24-hour retail groceries offering every imaginable food 365 days a year, the dictum to “eat more plants” may be dangerous to human health due to unaware excessive consumption of oxalates. Dramatic increases in calcium-oxalate kidney stones, and functional problems with digestive health, neurotoxicity (sleep, brain function), inflammation (pain, autoimmunity, cellular stress, fatigue), and connective tissue instability (osteoporosis, arthritis, vulnerability to injury) are all consistent with increased oxalate toxicity. Learn how modern food choices and meal patterns create the conditions for accumulation of oxalate in the body, and how oxalates create metabolic havoc. This session explains how modern foods and medicines increase susceptibility to oxalates; makes the case for careful attention to oxalate consumption; dispels the notion that all vegetables and seeds are healthy and safe to eat on a regular basis, and introduces the therapeutic benefits of a low-oxalate diet.
Joe Rogan Experience podcast #842 with Chris Kresser – Negative Health Consequences of a Vegan Diet.
Denise Minger – The China Study Fact or Fallacy. This blog post covers only a fraction of what’s wrong with “The China Study.” In the years since I wrote it, I’ve added a number of additional articles expanding on this critique and covering a great deal of new material. Please read my Forks Over Knives review for more information on what’s wrong with the conclusions drawn from Campbell’s casein/aflatoxin research, and if you’d rather look at peer-reviewed research than the words of some random internet blogger, see my collection of scientific papers based on the China Study data that contradict the claims in Campbell’s book.I’ve also responded to Campbell’s reply to my critique with a much longer, more formal analysis than the one on this page, which you can read here.
Grass-fed Beef — The Most Vegan Item In The Supermarket by Drew French – “…Sadly, in the practice of agriculture as it exists now, it is impossible to refrain from causing endless suffering to many living creatures. One could argue that the most suffering of all is caused by the practice of annual agriculture, which is the cultivation of vegetables, including grains, beans, and rice, that only take one year to grow from seed to food. We displace countless wild animals from their homes and landscapes when we cultivate annual crops. Not only that, but we also kill thousands of creatures when we till the soil and pull our harvests from its depths…”
Persistence of Neurological Damage Induced by Dietary Vitamin B-12 Deficiency in Infancy – A case is reported of a 14-month-old boy with severe dietary vitamin B-12 deficiency caused by his mother’s vegan diet.
Before Agriculture, Human Jaws Were a Perfect Fit for Human Teeth– …The switch to farming didn’t only cause changes to our jawbones. Two studies published last year (Switching to Farming Made Human Joint Bones Lighter) found that the emergence of agriculture likely precipitated other skeletal changes in humans, causing lighter, less-dense bones, particularly around joints. Such developments appear to be due to both diet and changes in physical activity, particularly the more sedentary lifestyle allowed by farming and domesticating animals.
8 Proven Reasons Why Vegan and Vegetarian Diets Easily Ruin Your Body by Alex Fergus. Avoiding animal meat and animal products are often touted as being ‘healthy’ in mainstream media. But this is not the case, in fact, as I will explain in this article, vegetarian and especially vegan diets are far from being the perfect diet for the human body…
Livestock, Agriculture and Greenhouse Gases
Nutritional and greenhouse gas impacts of removing animals from US agriculture – “Conclusions: Overall, the removal of animals resulted in diets that are nonviable in the long or short term to support the nutritional needs of the US population without nutrient supplementation.”
Impacts of Soil Carbon Sequestration on Life Cycle Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Midwestern USA Beef Finishing Systems – Dr. Jason Rowntree from Michigan State University
Human Performance Outliers Podcast. Episode 39: Professor Frank Mitloehner (Carnivore, vegan, vegetarian, or just curious, this is a must listen to the podcast!) – In this episode, Professor Frank Mitloehner joins the show. Professor Mitloehner is a faculty member in the Department of Animal Science at the University of California, Davis. He specializes in measurements and mitigation of greenhouse gases, volatile organic compounds, ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, and particulate matter and the study of their effects on human- and animal health and welfare. In short, his lab investigates agricultural productivity and environmental sustainability.
KetoCon 2018 Peter Ballerstedt “Ruminant* Reality Check” – *Ruminants convert “protein” and low nutrient density organic materials into food for humans via anaerobic (without oxygen) microbial fermentation of fibrous plants and plant residues in the rumen. Peter Ballerstedt, Ph.D. Forage Product Manager at Barenbrug USA. “I’m attempting to communicate the messages that the optimal human diet health is grass-based, not grain-based, and that the only truly sustainable form of agriculture is the production of livestock products from grazed forages. I’m a transition agent standing between consumers and producers, hoping to: help them improve their health; change how they each think about nutrition; help producers make changes in their production practices; help Oregon become a leader in grass-based livestock production.”
Peter Ballerstedt – Forage Agronomist – on the Ruminant Revolution! – Nice chat in Corvallis last night with Peter, who has extensive experience in the science of animal feeding practices – and the subsequent impact on their biological makeup. We cover this, the dietary guidelines debacle, low carb for improving health, and a few other topics! Note that we do not get into the detail here of particular genetic profiles that may have a sensitivity to dairy and other animal products – this is a more general overview of the field.
Red Meat is Green!, Peter Ballerstedt
Sorry, But Giving Up on Meat Is Not Going to Save The Planet – Frank M. Mitloehner, The Conversation | Voice 12/18. My research focuses on the ways in which animal agriculture affects air quality and climate change. In my view, there are many reasons for either choosing animal protein or opting for a vegetarian selection. However, foregoing meat and meat products is not the environmental panacea many would have us believe. And if taken to an extreme, it also could have harmful nutritional consequences.
Food Facts and Myths
Enjoy Your BACON! The Nitrate/Nitrite Cancer Scare Destroyed! – Dr. Ken Berry, MD. For years we’ve been told that processed and/or cured meats increase our risk of cancer. I decided to delve into the research and the common-sense of this issue and see what I could find. You will be surprised at how strong one is, and how weak the other. Nitrates and Nitrite containing salts have been used to cure meats for thousands of years, but only since the 1970’s have we been told that these natural ions cause cancer. Can you enjoy your bacon, or should you avoid nitrate/nitrite due to the cancer risk? It took me a couple of months to cut through all of the emotion, blustering, and “expert opinion” on this issue and find out what the research actually shows. If you eat bacon. or other processed meats, you want to watch this video.
- Nitrate in Saliva: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7…
- Nitrate Regulation: https://goo.gl/HqK8sz
- More Nitrate/Nitrite Regulation: https://goo.gl/1jNMHd
- History of Nitrate/Nitrite Curing: https://goo.gl/fE81ZL
- Great Blog about the Subject: https://goo.gl/k1DDH6
Plants Bite Back – The Surprising, All-Natural Anti-Nutrients and Toxins in Plant Foods (Protease Inhibitors, Saponins, Lectins, Phytates, Oxalates, and Salicylates)
Beef 101: Nutrition Facts and Health Effects by Atli Arnarson
Hyperoxaluria and Genitourinary Disorders in Children Ingesting Almond Milk Products. We describe 3 children presenting with hematuria (blood in urine), dysuria (painful urination) or kidney stones, and hyperoxaluria (elevated levels of oxalate) believed to be related to ingestion of excessive amounts of almond milk products. Our investigation of the oxalate content of several popular plant-based milk substitutes indicates that almond milk products are a particularly rich source of dietary oxalate. All genitourinary and urinary metabolic disturbances resolved after discontinuation of almond milk ingestion. Therefore, pediatricians should be aware of this potential link. Also, Oxalates: 12 Dangers Of Eating Foods With Oxalates
WHO Says MEAT Causes Cancer? by Georgia Ede, MD – Dr. Georgia Ede is a Harvard-trained psychiatrist whose areas of expertise include ketogenic and pre-agricultural diets, food sensitivity syndromes, and college mental health. She explores food’s powerful effects on brain chemistry, hormonal balance, and metabolism for Psychology Today and on her website DiagnosisDiet.com.
Will Grilling Your Meat Cause CANCER?? (Watch before you grill again) – Dr. Ken Berry, MD. If we listened to the National Cancer Institute and the World Health Organization we would be convinced that something humans have been doing for a million years is now dangerous, that is grilling meat. Let’s discuss the common-sense of this topic, and also the existing research. Will grilling your meat cause cancer? I think not. But, don’t take my word for it, watch the video and examine the information for yourself. If we are going to tell humans not to cook meat over an open flame then we damned well better have some solid facts to back that up!
Nutritional Myth Busting – Marty Kendall. This post looks at a number of common nutritional beliefs in light of the long-term data:
– Dietary cholesterol is bad for you
– Saturated fat is “bad fat”
– Polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats are “good fats”
– Fat does not make you fat
– Carbohydrates make you fat
– Calories don’t count
– Salt is bad for you
– Sugar is public enemy #1
– Red meat and eggs are bad for you
– Macronutrient percentages matter
Supplemental Material (What Really Matters)
- Drinking Baking Soda Could Be an Inexpensive, Safe Way to Combat Autoimmune Disease: Study
- Oral NaHCO3 Activates a Splenic Anti-Inflammatory Pathway: Evidence That Cholinergic Signals Are Transmitted via Mesothelial Cells (Journal reference from the article above)
- Sodium Bicarbonate – Mark Sircus Ac., OMD (sections 4, 6 and 7 are the most relevant)
Blue Light (mainly risks)
- Exposure to Blue Light Reduces Blood Pressure Via Increased Plasma Nitric Oxide (benefit)
- Reality #3: Wake Me Up When September 2016 Ends
- The effect of blue light exposure in an ocular melanoma animal model
- Blue Light Is Causing The Human Eye to Attack Itself
- Ocular Input for Human Melatonin Regulation: Relevance to Breast Cancer – “The impact of breast cancer on women across the world has been extensive and severe. As the prevalence of breast cancer is greatest in industrialized regions, exposure to light at night has been proposed as a potential risk factor.”
- Blue Light, EMF, Circadian Rhythm, Mitochondria and Quantum Biology for IBD: Jack Kruse, MD
- Dan Brule Breath Mastery (minimally practice lessons 1-7). Dan is a modern-day teacher, healer, and world-renown pioneer in the field of Breathwork. He is one of the creators of Breath Therapy and was among the original group of Internationally Certified Rebirthers. He is a master of Prana Yoga (the Hindu Science of Breath) and Chi Kung/Qigong (Chinese Medical Breathing Exercises), and he leads the worldwide Spiritual Breathing Movement.
- Buteyko Breathing Exercises: Buteyko Method How-To Instructions
- Buteyko Practice Diary And Quick Reference Guide
- Buteyko’s Method Of Volitional Control Of Deep Breathing – Guide To Training
- Wim Hof Method – Mini-Course
- Wim Hof Method | Every day for 1 Year (Will Grant – Wim Hof testimonial)
“It requires 2 weeks of cold to get full adaptation in humans.
When cold is perceived by skin cold receptors over two weeks leptin is liberated from fat cells in massive quantities. Cold empties fats stores like a fire empties a movie theater. It can occur even faster if the method of adaptation is controlled with metal. The modern Zeltiq procedure does this in 45 minutes in a medical office.
The cold liberates leptin directly from white adipose tissue (WAT). Cold environments induce a long-buried genetic program in all mammals that allows for WAT to convert to brown adipose tissues (BAT) to burn calories as free heat and not generate ATP or to increase ROS simultaneously. This allows us to age more slowly, while increasing our metabolism and ability to work on fewer calories all while burning fat to make heat to stay warm.
We also lower our body fat while improving our body composition too! The cold temperatures also raise IGF-1 mRNA to increase Growth Hormone release tremendously. This increases autophagic efficiency and improves muscular and cardiac function quickly. It does this all without exercise!
The cold also increases GnRH and selects for reproductive fitness too. This is important in cold because most mammals are pregnant during winter months.
Cold thermogenesis allows for a constant supply of fatty acids to continuously enter the mitochondria where fat is turned to free heat to allow the mammal to tolerate the cold and where the brain is rewired to allow the liver, heart and skeletal muscle to survive on a ketogenic diet indefinitely for long-term survival.
This evolutionary adaptation provides substantial fuel for the body while not depleting blood glucose. This is how mammals naturally adapted over time and why they were naturally selected for by evolution in their environments. This adaptation optimized fat utilization to prevent the need for the body to use lean tissue reserves during extreme caloric deficits. This is why mammals were ideally adapted for hibernation too until they got too smart for their own genes sake.” Jack Kruse, MD
- The Cold Thermogenesis Protocol – Jack Kruse, MD
- Cold Thermogenesis Handbook (how to guide) – PrimalHacker
- Wim Hof Method – Mini-Course
- Wim Hof Method | Every day for 1 Year (Will Grant – Wim Hof testimonial)
- Wim Hof, The Iceman Cometh | HUMAN Limits
- ICE SWIM | Feeling the power from the cold (Inspirational Video)
Deuterium Depletion: The Most Powerful Health Hack You’ve Never Heard Of – Best takeaways: A natural ketogenic diet (high fat and moderate protein) as a metabolic therapy helps to deplete deuterium. Basically, it contains the least deuterium and helps to reduce the overall burden, by increasing the generation/level of deuterium depleted water (DDW) in the body. Also, food is better than anything you can make from it – ie supplements…
What exactly is deuterium?
It is a rare isotope of hydrogen (only 0.000155% of hydrogen atoms) that contains a proton and a neutron in its nucleus, and the extra neutron doubles the mass of this type of hydrogen atom. When two deuteriums combine with oxygen, the resulting substance is referred to as “heavy” water, 2H2O, because of the additional mass. Although heavy water tastes and looks the same as ordinary water, it doesn’t behave the same: it has a higher boiling point, a lower freezing point, and ice cubes made with heavy water will sink in ordinary water. These differences demonstrate that the presence of Deuterium can change chemical behavior.
Why does that matter?
Hydrogen is in the air we breathe, the food we eat, and the water we drink, and as we take hydrogen into our body, it becomes part of our blood, organs, DNA, and everything else that makes us who we are. When deuterium builds up in your body, it changes chemical reactions at a cellular level and has devastating effects on your metabolism. Deuterium buildup can affect your ability to create and use energy, limit your DNA’s ability to replicate, change how you respond to clinical treatments, and generally change, on a fundamental level, how your body works and, as a result, who you are.
“Another issue with deuterium, but not covered in either talk is that deuterium is more sensitive to electromagnetic fields. Because of its greater magnetic moment. This is how the body actually separates it from regular hydrogen. The body then puts it in places where magnetic reactivity is desirable and keeps it out of places where it is not. This process is ultimately driven by sunlight. The sunlight puts the deuterium in specific places in food molecules so it’s no surprise that sunlight is also required by our bodies if we want to dismantle the food and its deuterium in an orderly fashion. So eating high deuterium foods is ok in strong sunlight, but not out of that season. Also, a (KEY POINT) deuterium in excess or in the wrong places makes us MORE SENSITIVE TO non-native EMF’s (nnEMFs). Now think of all the deuterium loaded humans bathing in wifi etc. Any wonder we have diseases and premature aging, especially in the deuterium collectors par excellence aka VEGANS.” – Graeme Norbury
- Deuterium Depletion Revisited: The Missing Link With Dr. Anne Cooper #166
- Gut Health Gurus Podcast with Dr. Gabor Somlyai on Deuterium and Cancer (46:52)
- Nutritional Armor in Evolution: Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) as a Determinant of Neural, Evolution and Hominid Brain Development – Michael A. Crawford Ph.D., FSB, FRCPATH
- Energy and Epigenetics 2: The Real DHA Story. Jack Kruse, MD
- Serial Circulating Omega 3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids and Healthy Ageing Among Older Adults in the Cardiovascular Health Study: Prospective Cohort Study
- The Fish Paradox: Are Maternal Omega-3 (n-3) DHA and Selenium (Se) Intake Protective Against Negative Effects of Methylmercury Exposure on Infant Cognitive Development?
- Effect of Marine Omega 3 Fatty Acids on Methylmercury-Induced Toxicity in Fish and Mammalian Cells In Vitro
- Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) Signalolipidomics in Nutrition: Significance in Aging, Neuroinflammation, Macular Degeneration, Alzheimer’s, and Other Neurodegenerative Diseases
- Effect of docosahexaenoic acid-rich fish oil supplementation on human leukocyte function
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Brain Resistance to Ageing and Stress: Body of Evidence and Possible Mechanisms
- Docosahexaenoic Acid is More Effective than Eicosapentaenoic Acid in Increasing the Omega-3 Index Measured in Red Blood Cell Membranes
Here are some methods which can be used to protect yourself from the effects of EMF’s – by increasing mitochondrial function and/or mitochondrial density, as well as being supportive against oxidative stress.
- Follow a natural ketogenic diet, low in deuterium. (See Deuterium above)
- Cold Thermogenesis Therapy (Source 1, 2. See also CT above)
- Consume a diet rich in DHA (salmon and sardines). If you can’t then supplement. (Source and see DHA above)
- Get morning sun exposure – before 12:00 pm for 10-15 minutes. (Source)
- Reduce or eliminate blue light exposure while indoors, exposed to LED and fluorescent lighting, and at least 3-4 hours before bed. (Source) – most important.
- Buy blue light blocking glasses – Swanwick, Ra Optics (prescription lenses also available), and BLUblox – # 6 is the most important.
- Exercise focusing on the eccentric (negative) contraction of the muscle. This should be done more slowly than the concentric (positive) contraction. During the eccentric phase, the muscles lengthen while producing force—usually by returning from a shortened (concentric) position to a resting position. (Source)
The below websites help to support a global movement of concerned citizens who realize modern electronic devices produce electromagnetic fields (EMF) that are not native to this earth (nnEMFs). These nnEMFs are completely foreign to human biology and are wreaking havoc on the health and wellbeing of our families and our planet.
- Public Waking up to Fact that 5G has not been Proven Safe for Human Health (1-3-19)
- Dr. Gabriel Cousens on 5G: “It’s time we wake up” (Gab, put a new battery in your smoke detector – cherp, cherp, cherp…)
- 5G – From Blankets To Bullets – Arthur Firstenberg
- Cellular Phone Task Force – Informational site.
- The Invisible Rainbow – A History of Electricity and Life – A book by Arthur Firstenberg
- EMF Safety Network – Informational site.
- EMF Warriors
- Experts against the rollout of 5G in California
- Scientists and Doctors Make Urgent Appeal Against 5G Rollout
EZ (Exclusion Zone) Water
What is Exclusion Zone (EZ) Water? The reason this fourth phase of water is called the exclusion zone or EZ is because the first thing Dr. Pollack’s team discovered is that it profoundly excludes things. Even small molecules are excluded from EZ water. Surprisingly, EZ water appears in great abundance, including inside most of your cells. Even your extracellular tissues are filled with this kind of water.
Watch This Video. Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Pollack (36:19) – Video at a glance:
- Over 99% of our body consists of water molecules. This water within our cells is not regular water (H2O), but highly structured water with special properties, known as Exclusion Zone (EZ) Water (H3O2).
- EZ water is recognized as the fourth phase of water. Solid, liquid, and gas as being the other three. EZ water can also be called, living water. EZ water is more viscous, dense, and alkaline than regular water. EZ water is negatively charged and can hold energy, much like a battery. EZ water can deliver energy (hydrogen) as well.
- The key ingredient to create EZ water is sunlight, visible light, and infrared wavelengths. This means you need to get out into the sunlight.
- One reason why infrared saunas make you feel so good is that your body’s cells are deeply penetrated by infrared energy, which builds and stores EZ water. The same goes for spending time in the sun
You can help support your body’s negative charge by connecting to the Earth, which also has a negative charge. This is the basis of the earthing or grounding techniques.
My favorite Gerald Pollack video on the Fourth Phase of Water (EZ water) – The Fourth Phase of Water: Dr. Gerald Pollack at TEDx (24:14) and Water, Cells, and Life | Dr. Gerald Pollack | TEDxNewYorkSalon (13:38)
Far Infrared Light Therapy (FIR)
Effects of far-infrared therapy. Far-infrared (FIR) rays enable multiple energy transfer as deep as 2–3 cm into subcutaneous tissue without irritating or overheating the skin and then accelerate blood flow, leading to an increase in shear stress, followed by an increase in endothelial nitric oxide synthase (NOS) activity and nitric oxide production (improved vascular function). Moreover, FIR or shear stress can regulate the expression of some circulating miRNAs in endothelial cells. Consequently, FIR therapy improves the symptoms of chronic diseases (e.g. cardiovascular disease, diabetes mellitus, and chronic kidney disease). Diurnal variation of NOS and miRNAs may be related to the onset of some chronic diseases. FIR rays may have striking therapeutic effects on medical treatments on the basis of supporting proper circadian rhythm.
- Clearlight Far Infrared Saunas – what I have – The Premier 3 person sauna.
- Far Infrared Radiation (FIR): Its Biological Effects and Medical Applications
- Infrared sauna in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and ankylosing spondylitis. A pilot study showing good tolerance, short-term improvement of pain and stiffness, and a trend towards long-term beneficial effects. There is a correlation with lipopolysaccharide (LPS), a component of gram-negative bacterial cell membranes and (RA). This study The effect of far-infrared radiation therapy on inflammation regulation in lipopolysaccharide-induced peritonitis in mice used LPS to stimulate inflammation and tested FIR to see if it reduced inflammation/symptoms. (FIR) did reduce inflammation. I research (LPS) and it’s relationship (arthritis and LPS) to specific diseases. Conclusion: a carnivore diet combined with FIR and NIR can be used as a natural therapy to reduce symptoms or disease progression – and maybe the elimination of (RA).
- Far-Infrared Therapy for Cardiovascular, Autoimmune, and Other Chronic Health Problems: A Systematic Review
- Effects of far-infrared sauna bathing on recovery from strength and endurance training sessions in men
- Far-Infrared Therapy Promotes Nerve Repair following End-to-End Neurorrhaphy in Rat Models of Sciatic Nerve Injury
Fasting, Fasting Mimicking Diet, Intermittent Fasting, Caloric Restriction
“Humans live on one-quarter of what they eat; on the other three-quarters lives their doctors” Egyptian pyramid inscription, 3,800 B.C (6,000 years ago)
- A Time to Fast (11/18) – Nutrient composition and caloric intake have traditionally been used to devise optimized diets for various phases of life. Adjustment of meal size and frequency have emerged as powerful tools to ameliorate and postpone the onset of disease and delay aging, whereas periods of fasting, with or without reduced energy intake, can have profound health benefits.
- Why Fasting Bolsters Brain Power: Mark Mattson at TEDxJohnsHopkinsUniversity (16:43) – Mark Mattson is the current Chief of the Laboratory of Neurosciences at the National Institute on Aging. He is also a professor of Neuroscience at The Johns Hopkins University. Mattson is one of the foremost researchers in the area of cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s Disease, Parkinson’s Disease, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
- Fasting: Awakening the Rejuvenation from Within | Valter Longo | TEDxEchoPark (19:13) – Dr. Valter Longo is the Edna M. Jones Professor of Gerontology and Biological Sciences, and Director of the Longevity Institute at the University of Southern California – Davis School of Gerontology, Los Angeles.
- Joe Rogan – Time Restricted Eating with Dr. Rhonda Patrick, Ph.D. (14:55)
Fluoride affects every cell in the body and not in a good way. Please use non-fluoride alternatives and check your medications to see if they contain fluoride as an ingredient.
- The Biophysics of Fluoride by Neurosurgeon Dr. Jack Kruse (41:41)
- Fluoroquinolones: The Deadliest Antibiotics On The Market?
Histamine in food is known to cause food poisoning and allergic reactions.
- Effect of Different Cooking Methods on Histamine Levels in Selected Foods – Histamine in food is known to cause food poisoning and allergic reactions. We usually ingest histamine in cooked food, but there are few studies about the influence of cooking methods on the histamine level.
Inclined Bed Therapy (IBT)
- Sleeping Inclined To Restore and Support Your Health by Andrew K Fletcher
- The Ketogenic Diet for Health Amber O’Hearn
- Exercise promotes the expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) through the action of the ketone body β-hydroxybutyrate (2016)
Light, Health, Melanopsin, and Circadian Rhythm
Circadian Rhythm Highlights:
Although circadian rhythm disruption (CRD) was typically considered to be a risk for chronic diseases solely for shift workers (∼20% of the workforce), new epidemiological data suggest more than 80% of the population may be living a shiftwork lifestyle and thus are at elevated risk for chronic diseases.
Acute CRD compromises health with temporary physical challenges and may be a trigger for underlying latent diseases. Chronic CRD raises the risk for cancer along with a range of diseases affecting the central nervous system, immune and reproductive systems, metabolic organs, endocrine functions, and cardiovascular health.
Recent progress in understanding the molecular mechanisms of circadian timing and diurnal rhythms of tissue-specific gene products has generated testable hypotheses for how the circadian timing system optimizes health and, conversely, how circadian disruption leads to diseases.
Leveraging circadian rhythms to prevent, manage, and treat diseases involves three major strategies: optimizing the circadian lifestyle (‘training the clock’), optimizing the timing of therapies (‘clocking the drugs’), and targeting specific circadian clock components (‘drugging the clock’).
- Out-Thinking Parkinson’s – Light Therapy and Parkinson’s. The purposes of this article, which I will endeavor to keep updated, is to act as a central resource of information on light therapy and its applications to Parkinson’s Disease.
- Why Screen Time Can Disrupt Sleep – November 27, 2018, Ludovic Mure and Satchidananda Panda. Salk scientists uncover how certain retinal cells respond to artificial illumination.
- The 2017 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. Jeffrey C. Hall, Michael Rosbash and Michael W. Young for their discoveries of Molecular Mechanisms Controlling the Circadian Rhythm
- Buy blue light blocking glasses – Swanwick, Ra Optics (prescription lenses also available), and BLUblox
- Episode 1 Part 1 Neurosurgeon Jack Kruse “Artificial blue light is killing us” and Dr. Jack Kruse on Light and Cancer (Facebook post)
- Why the Sun is Necessary for Optimal Health – Alexander Wunsch, MD, Wismar University of Applied Sciences, Germany gives a historical perspective on sunlight exposure and explains how both the public’s and medical community’s perspective has changed over time. (59:13)
- Texas A&M Study Links Breast Cancer To The Body’s Internal Clock – For years, doctors have associated the BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations with an increased risk of breast cancer. But researchers at Texas A&M University have now identified another gene that may have an impact on breast cancer–associated with the body’s circadian rhythm. Understanding circadian rhythm and its effects on the body have become increasingly important to the science community. The 2017 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine was awarded to researchers for discoveries of the molecular mechanisms controlling the circadian rhythm, and the National Cancer Institute recently named the role of circadian rhythms in cancer as one of their 12 provocative questions for the year.
- Circadian Phase Resetting by a Single Short-Duration Light Exposure
- Ecological Studies of the UVB-Vitamin D-CANCER Hypothesis – RESULTS: This review consistently found strong inverse correlations with solar UVB for 15 types of cancer: bladder, breast, cervical, colon, endometrial, esophageal, gastric, lung, ovarian, pancreatic, rectal, renal, and vulvar cancer; and Hodgkin’s and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Weaker evidence exists for nine other types of cancer: brain, gallbladder, laryngeal, oral/pharyngeal, prostate, and thyroid cancer; leukemia; melanoma; and multiple myeloma.
- Time to Rethink Your Truth About the Sun – Dr. Jack Kruse
- The Timing of Light Exposure Affects Mood and Brain Circuits – Randy J. Nelson, Ph.D., Translational Psychiatry 2017
- Randy J. Nelson, Ph.D. – Dr. John D. and E. Olive Brumbaugh Chair in Brain Research and Teaching. Professor and Chair Department of Neuroscience & Psychology. Archive of articles on light, circadian rhythm, disease and health (PubMed)
- Sunlight Offers Surprise Benefit — It Energizes Infection-Fighting T Cells – “We found that sunlight makes hydrogen peroxide in T cells, which makes the cells move. And we know that an immune response also uses hydrogen peroxide to make T cells move to the damage,” Ahern says. “This all fits together.”
- Could the sun be good for your heart? (12:59) Richard Weller, TEDxGlasglow, Jan 17, 2013 – Our bodies get Vitamin D from the sun, but as dermatologist Richard Weller suggests, sunlight may confer another surprising benefit too. New research by his team shows that nitric oxide, a chemical transmitter stored in huge reserves in the skin, can be released by UV light, to great benefit for blood pressure and the cardiovascular system. What does it mean? Well, it might begin to explain why Scots get sick more than Australians …
- Sunlight, Cholesterol and Coronary Heart Disease. We show evidence that outdoor activity (gardening) is associated with a lower concentration of blood cholesterol.
- Breast Cancer and Circadian Disruption from Electric Lighting in the Modern World – “In humans, the theory that light exposure at night increases breast cancer risk leads to specific predictions that are being tested epidemiologically: evidence has accumulated on risk in shift workers, risk in blind women, and impact of sleep duration on risk.”
- The Circadian Influence On Gut Health And Disease. Circadian disruption is associated with a number of GI disorders including inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, ulcers, and gut dysbiosis. This association may or may not be causal, but the evidence indicates that circadian disruption, at the very least, exacerbates symptoms of these conditions. In some cases, there is direct evidence that addressing factors that cause circadian misalignment can dramatically improve gut disorders.
- Dr. Jack Kruse on Light and Cancer
- Earthing: Health Implications of Reconnecting the Human Body to the Earth’s Surface Electrons – This paper reviews the earthing research and the potential of earthing as a simple and easily accessed global modality of significant clinical importance.
- Protection against neurodegeneration with low-dose methylene blue and near-infrared light
- TIME #14: Biohacking “TIME” With Methylene Blue – Jack Kruse
Mitochondria and ATP Synthase
“Remember what do the colony of mitochondria in you make when they are in the sun? CO2 and water. Is the water special they make? Yep. When it comes to the sun……..get as close to her power as possible. When it comes to all other radiations on EARTH get as far away from them as possible. That is why doctors wear lead with Xrays when they have to be too close to the Xray machine. So for the sun…….moving from a high latitude to a low latitude is all one needs to do to get well. Every cell in your body is optimized to the solar radiations and no other parts of the spectrum. It is that simple.” Dr. Kruse
- Mitochondria: In Sickness and in Health
- The Cell’s Power Plant – Probing Mitochondria and Oxygen, Dr. Vamsi Mootha Finds New Ways to Understand Disease. by Jonathan Shaw, November-December 2018
- Dr. Doug Wallace – A Mitochondrial Etiology of Common Complex Diseases – Douglas C. Wallace, Ph.D. Wallace is one of the World’s leading expert on mitochondria. Director, Center for Mitochondrial and Epigenomic Medicine (CMEM). Professor, Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- ATP Synthase: The power plant of the cell (video 3:21)
- The Machine that Fuels ATP Synthase
Near-Infrared Light Therapy (NIR) – PhotoBioModulation
When surface layers of water are illuminated with the red light, it increases the distance between each water molecule, making the liquid become “runnier”. Mitochondria are powered by an enzyme-bound into their membranes. It spins like a molecular turbine, and being surrounded by runnier water should make it turn more easily, generating more ATP. When combined with a modified “Carnivore Diet” and entering into a state of ketosis, deuterium is more easily depleted and as a result, mitochondria function even more efficiently. Light Effect on Water Viscosity: Implication for ATP Biosynthesis
- The Biohacking Superpowers Of Red Light Therapy With Joovv #169 (2:14:21) – Luke Storey Podcast
- How Red and Near-Infrared Light Stimulates Cellular Respiration and Boosts Energy Production
- Aging Retinal Function Is Improved By Near-Infrared Light (670 nm) That Is Associated With Corrected Mitochondrial Decline
- Near-Infrared Light Increases ATP, Extends Lifespan And Improves Mobility In Aged Drosophila melanogaster
- Photobiomodulation 101 – How To Use Near Infrared & Red Light For Collagen, Thyroid, Muscle, Skin & More – Ben Greenfield podcast (1hr. 21min.)
- Photobiomodulation in human muscle tissue: an advantage in sports performance? Both red, NIR, and red/NIR mixtures were used. PBM can increase muscle mass gained after training, and decrease inflammation and oxidative stress in muscle biopsies. We raise the question of whether PBM should be permitted in athletic competition by international regulatory authorities.
- The Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday. Why have history’s greatest minds—from George Washington to Frederick the Great to Ralph Waldo Emerson, along with today’s top performers from Super Bowl-winning football coaches to CEOs and celebrities—embraced the wisdom of the ancient Stoics? Because they realize that the most valuable wisdom is timeless and that philosophy is for living a better life, not a classroom exercise.
- Meditations by Marcus Aurelius Written 167 A.D. One of the world’s most famous and influential books, Meditations, by the Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius (A.D. 121–180), incorporates the stoic precepts he used to cope with his life as a warrior and administrator of an empire. Ascending to the imperial throne in A.D. 161, Aurelius found his reign beset by natural disasters and war. In the wake of these challenges, he set down a series of private reflections, outlining a philosophy of commitment to virtue above pleasure and tranquility above happiness.
- Enchiridion (The Handbook) by Epictetus. Although he was born into slavery and endured a permanent physical disability, Epictetus (ca. 50–ca. 130 AD) maintained that all people are free to control their lives and to live in harmony with nature. We will always be happy, he argued, if we learn to desire that things should be exactly as they are.
- Letters from a Stoic by Lucius Annaeus Seneca. For several years of his turbulent life, Seneca was the guiding hand of the Roman Empire. His inspired reasoning derived mainly from the Stoic principles, which had originally been developed some centuries earlier in Athens.
Strength Training (Weight Lifting)
Strength Training for Health and Longevity – Doug McGuff (1:05:14). This is a great primer of the benefits of strength training.
Can Humans Harvest The Sun’s Energy Directly Like Plants? by Gerald Pollack, Ph.D., founder of the Pollack Laboratory “Uncovering nature’s deeply held secrets”
“It is generally accepted by the medical community and also by society that a sufficient level of vitamin D can be achieved by exposure to the sun. However, that’s not true. If this were the case, the northern regions would be uninhabited. The excellent work of Russian and Canadian researchers shows that the traditional diet of the Nordic populations ensures an adequate supply of vitamin D, whatever the season and the exposure to the sun. There is only one thing that seems unimportant, but that is essential with respect to vitamin D. But, unfortunately, few people know the facts. The key issue is not only the consumption of vitamin D-containing organ meat but also the avoidance of fructose. If the level of fructose in tissues or plasma is low, the enzyme 1-alpha-hydroxylase that turns inactive vitamin D into active vitamin D stops working. In other words, I can produce any amount of vitamin D by sun exposure, I can take any amount of vitamin D supplements or eat organ meat, if I eat too fruit containing fructose every day, I will never have a normal level of active vitamin D, which means that I will always be relatively low in vitamin D. These are key questions. In fact, it is, therefore, more important to avoid fruit and consume organ meat than to take vitamin D supplements and to be exposed to the sun. According to our protocol, patients take high doses of vitamin D at the beginning of treatment because we do not have time to wait until the required level is reached. In the case of a well-conducted diet, it is not necessary, and it is rather useless to repeat high-dose vitamin D therapy.” Dr. Csaba Tóth, MD. Paleomedicina Clinic, Hungary
What To Buy
Sleep better with SORAA Healthy Light Bulbs.The only LED light bulb with ZERO BLUE technology that emits the light your body needs to settle down for sleep. – WavesSORAA Healthy A19 LED Dimmable 600-Lumen Soft White (2700K), 60-Watt Equivalent Light Bulb, No Buzz, E26 Medium Base for Better Sleep
- Food antioxidant ergothioneine may aid survival of cancer-causing H. pylori - January 5, 2023
- Covid-19 Death Rates: Geography, Overweight, and Vitamin D Status - November 4, 2022
- Vitamin D from the sun reduces all-cause mortality - August 14, 2022